Monday, December 4, 2006

El Comienzo

Que onda a todos!!! Bienvenidos!!!

Well, this is my first blog ever and I would like to explain it a little before we get well under way.

As my profile says, I have been traveling my whole life.

My first real travels started in March of 2000 when I discovered Asia thanks to my dad moving to Tokyo, Japan for six years.
In my first trip, I went to Thailand for about 2 1/2 months. This was my first experience as a back-packer. I had read the book
The Beach (the book is amazing and, yes, the movie SUCKED) and it inspired me to be a "traveler" and not a tourist. Thailand was a great place to be introduced to the thrills of travel. The country is so easy to navigate. the people are friendly and the food is unbelievable. I stuck mainly to southern Thailand lying on beaches and discovering the hidden rock-climbing spots. At the end of my trip though, I decided to go further.

Going on advice from a friend, I also got the chance to visit beautiful, magical and wonderful Sumatra, Indonesia. Yes, this is the same Sumatra, Indonesia that was the epicenter of the earthquake that caused the tsunami in 2004. However, Sumatra is also famous for having 1 of only 2 orangutan rehabilitation centers in the world. Sumatra is the largest island in the Indonesian nation and absolutely captured my heart. The people there were some of the friendliest and relaxed I have met.

I went to a little town called Bukit Lewang where one goes to do jungle treks (with a guide) and pets wild orangutans--yes, wild orangutans. You see the orangutans from the center are released into the surrounding jungle where one goes on a jungle trek. The orangutans are used to people and gladly approach to pose for pictures, eat bananas or perform high-jinks. We then spent the night in the jungle and then rafted down the river back into town.

There is so much more to say about this particular Asian experience, but unfortunately, I was not as savvy with the writing for this trip nor for the other Asian experiences I had. Also, all my trips to that ornate continent were before the tsunami and I would love to know how it has changed. One day I will go back.

Well, all that Asian traveling set the stage for me to venture south of the border. I had been living in Washington state and found myself in a point in my life where I needed to do something different. It was a definite crossroads and I had to pick up and go. Seeing the growing need for Spanish-speakers in this country, I decided to go to Guatemala to learn Spanish. I did an immersion program and after three months had a good foundation. I was then led to Mexico where I spent 2+ years and will always return every year for the rest of my life.

I truly, truly fell madly in love, not only with a Mexican and Mexicans in general, but with the excitement of discovering, uncovering and knowing people in different places. The magnitude of the human experience is so simple and intricate, I can't think of anything else to do right now except be a traveler.

I fell in love not only with Mexican culture, the Spanish language and the warm sense of humor, but I experienced traveling as someone who could communicate.
One afternoon when I was in Sumatra, Indonesia, an artisan called me over into his shop and he said, "Come in, come in. No buy. Come in and make friendship."
I gladly obliged, but the language barrier made it difficult to "make" a deep connection.
In Latin America though, I make friendships just out of a sheer desire to practice Spanish. Traveling has taken on a whole new dimension for me.

So, the first few blogs will be condensed versions of my time in Guatemala and my early experiences in Mexico. Some of the archives were still shotty at that point as well. I have seen most of Guatemala, but this as well has been struck by tragedy. In 2005, Hurricane Stan hit Western Guatemala hard. from what I understand they are still suffering with roads being out and robbery at an all time high.

I will continue to post older blogs every week until my next big trip which is planned for the end of March. I will once again return to Mexico, but then go further south to South America. I would love to learn Portuguese in Salvador, Brazil, see Machu Picchu and venture into Colombia. My real dream is to buy a pick-up truck and drive all around, but I am not sure if I have the guts.

So, until the new adventures begin, you will have to catch up with the old. I am currently living in the Southwest with my mom, substitute teaching and saving money to travel, travel, travel. My passport expires in 2008 and why not make good use of it?

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

TDM said...

Great commentary. I look forward to traveling vicariously through you as you fill up your passport.

But don't forget to publish some commentary about places in the US. I'd love to see them through your eyes.